When most people hear of charcoal, they think of the black, rock like substance used at cookouts to start grill fires. But did you know there is another form of charcoal that has many health benefits? Activated charcoal can be formed from bamboo, wood or olive pits but is mainly created from coconut shells. The process of creating activated charcoal happens when the char substance is heated to a high temperature. These high temperatures change the chemical structure of the char substance, increasing the surface area and “activating” the charcoal. This form of charcoal can be used to provide many health benefits. Activated charcoal has a negative electrical charge which causes it to attract toxins and gases. This form of charcoal is non-toxic and cannot be absorbed by the human body, which allows it to freely carry the toxins out of the body through the feces. *Do not ingest any substance without first checking with your healthcare provider.*
Below are some great holistic uses for activated charcoal!
Activated charcoal toothpaste
- 1/2 Teaspoon Activated Charcoal
- 2 Tablespoons Baking Soda
- 2 Tablespoons Coconut Oil
- 1 Sauce Pan
- Melt the coconut oil in a small sauce pan on medium heat until it is hot and completely melted
- Once melted, pour into a heat resistant bowl and add in the activated charcoal and baking soda
- Mix until it is cool enough to pour into a small, air tight container such as a plastic tupperware container
- Only use a max of 2x per week due to the potent detoxifying effects of the charcoal!
- Be sure to rinse your mouth completely after use and do not swallow the mixture.
- 1 Empty Mascara Tube
- 2 Teaspoons Activated Charcoal
- 1/2 Teaspoon Bentonite Clay
- 5 Drops Vegetable Glycerin
- 1 Teaspoon Aloe Vera gel
- 2-3 Drops Lavender Essential oil (OPTIONAL)
- Mix 5 drops vegetable glycerin and 1 teaspoon aloe vera gel.
- Slowly sprinkle in ½ tsp Bentonite Clay and 2 tsp Activated Charcoal.
- Stir until completely blended until all clumps of clay have dissolved.
- Add lavender essential oil if desired.
- Carefully pour into mascara tube.
- To use: Apply to lashes, careful to not get in your eyes.
Activated Charcoal has a great variety of uses, but be sure you are purchasing a 100% pure activated charcoal product that has been verified for purity standards.
You can find more recipes and education on living a holistic lifestyle in our book Holistic Homemaking! \