What is Mica Powder?
Mica is a color additive powder obtained from the naturally occurring mineral, muscovite mica which contains potassium aluminum silicate. Currently, there is no definition or regulation to differentiate between natural and synthetic mica powder though synthetic mica must still contain FDA approved color additives to be considered cosmetic grade. This powder is used to add color to many holistic products such as makeup items, bath soaks and homemade candles.
Mica powder can be used in a wide variety of ways. It is a safer alternative instead of using traditional food colorings that may not bond well with substances such as beeswax. This ingredient is also widely used in holistic makeup recipes.
Below is an example of a recipe which utilizes mica powder.
Lemon Shea Butter Soap
- 2/3 cup Shea Butter
- 20 Drops lemon essential oil
- 6 oz glycerin soap base
- *Optional* 1 teaspoon yellow mica powder
- Place the glycerin soap in saucepan on stovetop and melt slowly on low heat.
- Stir until mixture is completely melted.
- Slowly add shea butter and stir until melted.
- Add 20 drops of lemon essential oil and food colorant.
- Stir until smooth.
- Pour the soap mixture into the silicone molds and set aside to cool for 24 hours.
- After 24 hours, remove soap from the mold and
- Store in an airtight container to prevent them from drying out.
- To Use: Apply to skin during bathing for hygiene.