To live the most optimal life possible, limiting your exposure your toxins is essential to your wellbeing. Many people are unaware at how many subtle chemicals we are exposed to through modern conveniences such as household cleaners, detergents and dishwashing liquid.
Traditional dishwashing liquid can contain the following concerning chemicals:
SLS (sodium lauryl sulfate)/SLES (sodium laureth sulfate)
This ingredient is what makes detergent lather and causes it to clean through grease. This chemical absorbs into the skin and has been known to cause rashes and allergic reactions.
DEA (diethanolamine), MEA (monoethanolamine), TEA (triethanolamine)
These chemicals have been shown to disrupt hormones in the human body and are known for creating nitrates and nitrosamines. They also increased your risk of developing 1,4-dioxane toxicity due to regular exposure to these types of chemicals.
This chemical is a standard ingredient in traditional soaps because it acts as an antibacterial, anti-fungal and antiviral. It can be a hazard because it can disrupt the endocrine system and is a known “endocrine disruptor.”
The FDA does not mandate that chemicals listed as “fragrance” must be disclosed on labeling or disclosed to consumers. Any given fragrance mixture can contain up to 3,000 chemicals.
Why take the chance of unknown chemicals being added into your home when you can create natural products instead?
Below is a list of great alternative recipes!
Natural Dishwasher Pods
- 20 drops Lemon Essential Oil
- 1/2 Cup Epsom Salt
- 2 Cups Baking Soda
- 2 Cups Borax
- 1/2 Cup Vinegar
- 1 Silicone Mold or Ice Cube tray
- Mix all dry ingredients EXCEPT for vinegar into bowl.
- Stir until mixture is blended.
- Slowly and carefully pour in vinegar. (it is acidic and will cause a fizzy reaction and needs to be added SLOWLY)
- Stir mixture again until completely blended.
- Carefully pack the mixture into the mold or ice cube tray. Pack it tightly so the mixture will form and harden.
- For best results let the mixture harden in a cool, dry place for 48 hours.
- To Use: Place one tablet into your dishwasher for naturally clean dishes. 2 teaspoons of liquid dishwashing soap may be added for extra shine to your glassware.
Natural Lavender Soap
- 2 Cups Melt & Pour Castile Soap
- 30 Drops Lavender Essential Oil
- 10 Teaspoons Jojoba or Sweet Almond Oil
- (Optional) 1 Tablespoon Purple Mica Powder
- 1 Sauce Pan
- 1 Heat Resistant container (such as Mason Jar)
- 1 Soap Mold
- Cut the castile soap into cubes.
- Add cubes into heat resistant container such as mason jar.
- Add water to sauce pan place on medium/high heat.
- Once water is boiling, place heat resistant container with soap in it into water carefully.
- Let the soap melt.
- Once melted, stir carefully and remove from stove top.
- Quickly add 1 tablespoon of purple mica powder, 30 drops of lavender essential oil and 10 Teaspoons of Sweet Almond or Jojoba Oil.
- Stir quickly before mixture hardens.
- Carefully transfer to soap mold.
- Let dry for 24 hours in a cool, dry place.
- Enjoy your natural lavender scented soap!
Natural Household Cleaner
- 2 Cups Water
- 1 tablespoon Baking Soda
- 2 tablespoons Castile Soap
- 30 drops Tea Tree Essential Oil
- 20 drops Lemon Essential Oil
- 15 drops Orange Essential Oil
- 16 oz Spray Bottle
- Warm the water in microwave or stove top until it is hot but not boiling.
- Add 1 tablespoon of baking soda into the warm water, stir until dissolved.
- Add 2 tablespoons of castile soap
- Add 30 drops of tea tree essential oil.
- Add 20 drops of lemon essential oil.
- Add 15 drops orange essential oil.
- Stir until blended.
- Carefully pour into spray bottle and shake gently to mix ingredients.
- Be sure to label the container and store in a cool place away from kids and pets.
- Use your natural cleaner to disinfect and clean your home without toxic chemicals!